Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Undergraduate students in the Department of Nutrition Science are encouraged to obtain research experience during their tenure at Purdue. This experience is particularly beneficial for students who are interested in continuing their education in graduate or professional schools. It is also an excellent opportunity for students who may be interested in working as a research technician at a university or in industry at a company upon graduation.
Undergraduate students can begin research experiences at any time and they can occur in the academic year as well as in the summer. Some undergraduate research experiences are rewarded by course credit and some include pay. Volunteer positions are also available. Opportunities for research are available in academia, industry, as well as government institutions. See the list of resources below.
If you have questions regarding undergraduate research experiences you may talk with your academic advisor, course instructors, or Dr. Kimberly Buhman.
Department of Nutrition Science
- Purdue Vice President of Research Office
- Purdue University Research Expertise
- Purdue Statistical Consulting Service (SCS)
- Purdue Graduate Research Programs (full listing)
Purdue Research Centers (related to Nutrition Science topics)
- Discovery Park and related centers
- Purdue Cancer Center
- Botanicals Center
- Ingestive Behavior Research Center (IBRC)
- Center on Aging and the Life Course
Purdue Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- DiscoverU (Undergraduate Research)
- Discovery Park Undergraduate Research Internship (DURI)
- Purdue Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP)
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
- Undergraduate Summer Research Program
- Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
- Community of Science, Resources for Research, Worldwide
- National Science Foundation, Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
- National Institutes of Health, Research and Training Opportunities
- MARC Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research (U-STAR) Awards (T34)
Other universities have similar undergraduate research opportunities as those listed above for Purdue. Search their Web sites if you are interested in a particular location or university experience.
Some companies offer summer research internship opportunities. The best way to learn about these is during career fairs, talking to faculty members, networking, etc.
If you are currently participating in undergraduate research and are interested in pursuing research in graduate school, check out the Council on Undergraduate Research.