News and Announcements
The Purdue Summer Research Opportunities Program, SROP, has the goal of enhancing diversity in academic,
government, and industry positions that require graduate degrees. It is their aim to encourage talented
undergraduate students from social and economic backgrounds that are underrepresented in research careers
to pursue graduate education, and to enhance their preparation for graduate study. Deadline to apply
is March 1, 2015.
More information and the application can be found at http://www.purdue.edu/gradschool/diversity/srop/index.cfm
For Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program information, go to http://med.uc.edu/SURF
NACUFS opportunity- apply for the annual summer NACUFS sponsored Foodservice Management Internship (FMI)! Knowledge about this opportunity continues to spread, with increasing numbers of applicants each year. Apply early.
If you have any questions concerning the program please call or e-mail:
Carol Fletcher, Chair, Foodservice Management Internship Committee,
Assistant Director of Residential Dining, University of Northern Iowa,
Dept. of Res, Redeker Center, 1501 Redeker Dr, Cedar Falls, IA 50614,
- The deadline for students to apply is Friday, January 23rd, 2015
- The URL for the internship program is http://www.nacufs.org/internships
- Please note, this is a paid internship ($1600 minimum) with free room and board
UM-SMART Program, Summer at Michigan for Undergraduate Research Training, 10 weeks: June 1-August 7, 2015,
Applications Deadline: January 16, 2015, apply today: medicine.umich.edu/mstp
- Application Requirements for the Michigan Health Sciences Career Academy
Thank you for your interest in the Michigan Health Sciences Career Development Academy
(MHSCDA). This program is open to all students with an interest in medicine and health
disparities. OHEI particularly encourages applications from students that are from
underrepresented minority groups in medicine. Applicants from rural and
socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds are also encouraged to apply.
The application cycle is from November 1-February 1, 2015.
You must submit your
completed application before midnight on February 1, 2015
. We encourage applicants
to apply early. Acceptance to the program is made on a rolling admission basis.
A completed application includes: Submitted online application
Three letters of recommendation:
Official or unofficial transcript from your institution(s)
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members teaching science courses
- One letter of recommendation from academic advisor or employer
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
NUTR 424 Food Demonstrations: Brain Food for Finals
Tuesday, December 9th 2014 6 – 9:30 p.m.
Purdue University Division of Recreational Sports
Demonstration Kitchen in Recreational Sports Center
Learn quick, easy and healthy recipes that will help boost your mood, energy and mental performance during Final Exam Week! Students from NUTR 424, the Department of Nutrition Science’s Nutrition Communication class, will highlight a variety of recipes and “stress-free” strategies during a series of “mini demos.” Absolutely free, but registration required.
6:00pm: "Easy Recipes Make Champions for Finals" with Blake Criss, Meng Li
Dishes: Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie, Lettuce chicken wrap, Caramel popcorn
6:45pm: "Brain Food for Finals: Munch on Antioxidant Snacks!" with Hui Yee Tan, Yao Yao
Dishes: Chocolate Avocado Chia Pudding, Apple Crisps with Oatmeal Crumble, Veggie Sushi Roll
7:30pm: "Food for Thought" with Emily Pollom, Kiersten Witkamp
Dishes: pumpkin spice smoothie, lunch wrap, Italian breadstick popcorn
8:15pm: "Breakfast 101" with Melanie Sturm, Maggie McCann
Dishes: breakfast egg sandwich, chia seed oatmeal, mango smoothie
9:00pm: "Brain foods for cognitive performance" with Meghan Elsasser, Amanda Jones
Dishes: pizza roll-ups, frozen banana bites, apple bites
French Culture, Food and Health Study Abroad program: Spring Break (March 14 - 22).
For more information click here.
Deadline to enroll is January 12, 2015
- Schedule revision calendar for Fall 2014 on line at www.purdue.edu/Registrar/calendars/index.html
- Don’t forget to look at the Freshman guide for resources.
Help sessions can be found at the Academic success center, Biology resource center, chemistry resource room, Supplemental Instructions(SI), counseling and guidance, math help room, writing lab, boiler copy maker, psychological services. Google search any of these resources on the Purdue webpage for assistance.
TIPS: Khan Academy has a library of YouTube tutorials that might assist with math, chemistry, or statistics. Check it out if you’re having some course issues.
- For more information on scholarships, go to
- The Nutrition Science Team (Sam Martinez, Haley Kaub, Megan Farley, and Hannah Bercot) won first place at the Boiler Culinary Competition.
- Kristen Clark was named the 2014 Nutrition Science Outstanding Senior.
- Amber Nolder received the IDA Scholarship
- Jennifer Mansfield received the AND Scholarship
- Kirsten Clawson received the All Access Internship Scholarship
- Kirsten Clawson was named the 2013 Nutrition Science Outstanding Senior.
- Lauren O'Connor received the College of HHS Dean's Choice Award for her "Mobile MyPlate" poster at the 2013 Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium.
- Kirsten Clawson received the 2013 Didactic Program Outstanding Student Award from the Indiana Dietetic Association.
- Amber Nolder received the 2013 Indiana Dietetic Association Scholarship.
- Noelle Carr received the 2012 IDA Outstanding Dietetics Student Award for a CP Program.
- Lyndsey Maxwell-Huss was named the 2012 Nutrition Science Outstanding Senior.
- Congratulations to the winning team of CSR and Nutrition Science students who took first prize in the annual Abbott Nutrition Sales competition: Sarah Korni, Jenny Megalli, and Martie Burris.
- Jacquie Sullivan was names the 2011 Nutrition Science Outstanding Senior
- Erin Harpenau was names the 2010 Nutrition Science Outstanding Senior
- Tracy Ochs received the 2009 Principle Financial Group Scholarship
- Maggie McKay received the 2009 IDA Scholarship
- Lindsey Maxwell, Monica Poplawski and Rachel Hadley received 2009 Indiana Dietetic Association Membership Scholarships
- Monica Poplawski, Lara Schliter, Lyndsey Maxwell, and Rebecca Hewins received the 2009 Kappa Omicron Nu Scholarships
- Amanda Monroe received the 2009 Maple Leaf Farms Scholarship
- Kristen Barrett received the 2009 Mary Louise Foster Award
- Jocelyn Sherrod received the 2009 Cecelia and Arthur Stuart Memorial Scholarship
- Leslie Cradler, an undergraduate in the Department of Foods and Nutrition, has been awarded a research enhancement award from Purdue's Center for Families for her project, "Are adolescent attitudes toward calcium rich foods and intake of dietary calcium related to the presence of grandparent(s) living in the household?"
- Amy Conklin was named the 2009 Foods and Nutrition Outstanding Senior
- Suzanne "Maggie" McKay is one of three recipients of the 2009 Amelia Earhart Scholarship given to students who demonstrate exemplary leadership skill, determination and potential