- B.S., Biology at Antioch College in 1976
- Ph.D., Human Nutrition and Nutritional Biology at University of Chicago in 1984
Awards & Honors
- Susan Butler for Leadership Excellence Award from International Breast Cancer and Nutrition, 2012
- Academic Leadership Program Fellow from Purdue University CIC, 2011 - 2012
- University Faculty Scholar from Purdue University , 2011 - 2016
- Breast Cancer Discovery Group Executive Committee, Purdue Center for Cancer Research from Purdue University, 2010
- Ingestive Behavior Research Center Member from Purdue University, 2009
- Seed for Success Recipient from Purdue University, 2009
- Faculty Award in Research o f Merit Recipient from ÃÓÄ , 2006
- Departmental Teaching Award from Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, 2006
- Seed for Success Recipient from Purdue University, 2006
- Nutrition and Cancer
Vitamin D status is associated with a reduced incidence of several cancers, including prostate, colon and breast cancer. Dr. Teegarden’s laboratory is investigating the role and the mechanism of vitamin D metabolites in regulation of proteins during cancer progression in breast cancer. Currently, the mechanism by which 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D regulates energy metabolism is being investigated in breast cell model systems. In addition, the signaling pathways and the role of the nuclear vitamin D receptor mediating its effects are being explored.
Vitamin D and Muscle
Better vitamin D status is known to have a positive correlation with greater muscle mass and higher function as well as improved insulin sensitivity. Our laboratory is investigating the molecular mechanisms underlying these relationships in cell, animal and human models.
- Teegarden D, Romieu I, Lelièvre SA. (2012) Redefining the impact of nutrition on breast cancer incidence: Is epigenetics involved? Nutr Res Rev, 25: 68-95.
- Zou M, Arentson EJ, Teegarden D, Koser SL, Onyskow L, and Donkin SS. (2012) Fructose consumption during pregnancy and lactation induces fatty liver and glucose intolerance in rats. Nutr Res, 32:588-98.
- Carrillo AE, Flynn MG, Pinkston C, Markofski MM, Jiang Y, Donkin SS, and Teegarden D. (2012) Vitamin D supplementation during exercise training does not alter inflammatory biomarkers in overweight and obese subjects. Eur J App Phys, 112:3045-52. PMCID: PMC3417103
- McLamore ES, Shi J, Jaroch D, Claussen J, Uchida A, Jiang A, Banks MK, Buhman KK, Teegarden D, Rickus JL, Donkin S.S. and Porterfield DM. (2011) A self referencing platinum nanoparticle decorated enzyme-based microbiosensor for real time measurement of physiological glucose transport. Biosensors and Bioelectronics 26:2237-2245.
- Smilowitz JT, Wiest MM, Teegarden D, Zemel MB, German JB, Van Loan MD (2011) Dietary fat and not calcium supplementation or dairy product consumption is associated with changes in anthropometrics during a randomized, placebo-controlled energy-restriction trial. Nutr Metab 8:67.
- Weaver CM, Campbell WW, Teegarden D, Craig BA, Martin BR, Singh R, Braun MM, Apolzan JW, Hannon TS, Schoeller DA, DiMeglio DA, Hickey Y, and Peacock M. (2011) Calcium, dairy products, and energy balance in overweight adolescents: A controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 94:1163-70.
- Teegarden D, Lee J-Y, Adedokun O, Childress A, Parker LC, Burgess W, Nagel J, Knapp DW, Lelievre S, Agnew CR, Shields C, Leary J, Adams R, Jensen JD (2011) Cancer Prevention Interdisciplinary Education Program at Purdue University: Overview and Preliminary Results. J Cancer Educ, 26:626-632.
- Jiang Y, Zheng W, Teegarden D (2010) 1á, 25-Dihydroxyvitamin D regulates hypoxia-inducible factor-1á in untransformed and Harvey-ras transfected breast epithelial cells. Cancer Lett. 298:159-166.
- Li J, Fleet JC and Teegarden D (2009) Activation of rapid signaling pathways does not contribute to 1a,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3-induced growth inhibition of mouse prostate epithelial cells. J Cell Biochem, 107:1031-1036.
- Siddiqui SMK, Chang E, Li J, Burlage C, Zou M, Buhman KK, Koser S, Donkin SS and Teegarden D. (2008) Dietary intervention with vitamin D, calcium and whey protein reduced fat mass and increased lean mass in rats. Nutrition Res 28:783-790.
- Li J, Byrne ME, Chang E, Jiang Y, Donkin SS, Buhman KK, Burgess JR and Teegarden D. (2008) 1á,25-dihydroxyvitamin D hydroxylase in adipocytes, J Steroid Biochem 112:122-126.
- Gunther CW, Legowski PA, Lyle RM, McCabe GP, Eagan MS, Peacock M, Teegarden D. Dairy products do not lead to alterations in body weight and fat mass in young women in a one year intervention. Am J Clin Nutr 81:751-6, 2005.
- Adams LS, Teegarden D. 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol inhibits apoptosis in C3H10T½ murine fibroblast cells through activation of nuclear factor k B. J Nutr 134:2948-52, 2004.
- Castillo SS, D. Teegarden. Ceramide conversion to sphingosine-1-phosphate is essential for survival in C3H10T ½ cells. Journal of Nutrition. 2003. 131:2826-30, 2003.
- Lin, Y.-C., R. M. Lyle, L. D. McCabe, G. P. McCabe, C. M. Weaver and D. Teegarden. Calcium intake effects on two year changes in body composition in young women. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2000. 19:754-760, 2000.
Books, Chapters & Monograph Publications
- Teegarden D. Dietary Calcium and Obesity. In: Weaver CM and Heaney RP, editors. Calcium in Human Health. pp: 327-339; Humana Press Inc. Totowa NJ, 2005.
- Teegarden D. Dietary Calcium and the Metabolic Syndrome. In: Weaver CM and Heaney RP, editors. Calcium in Human Health. pp:401-409, Humana Press Inc. 2005.
- Teegarden D and Gunther C. Minerals and Food Intake: A Human Perspective. In: Appetite and Food Intake: Behavioral and Physiological Considerations. Harris R and Mattes R., ed. Taylor and Francis.
- Teegarden D and Donkin SS. Vitamin D: Emerging new roles in insulin sensitivity. Review, Nutr Res Rev 22:82-92.
|FN 60500||Nutritional Biochemistry and Physiology I: The goal is to provide a foundation to graduate students in the scientific concepts relevant to nutrient metabolism and nutrient-disease interaction. Topics covered in this semester include: cell biology of the intestine, nutrient transport, carbohydrate metabolism, and mineral metabolism.
International Programs & Activities
- International Breast Cancer and Nutrition, Organizing Committee