- B.Sc. , Biochemistry, Honors at University of Saskatchewan in 1990
- Ph.D., Nutrition and Metabolism at University of Alberta in 1998
- Insulin Receptor Translocation To The Nucleus
Awards & Honors
- Under Represented Minorities Fellowship from NIH/Research Supplements, 1998 - 2001
- Graduate Student Research Award from American Society for Nutritional Sciences-, 1998
- The major focus of Dr. Gletsu Miller's laboratory is to study the diseases associated with obesity and outcomes following weight loss. The research is done mainly in humans, specifically patients who have undergone bariatric surgery. Improvement in diabetes and cardiometabolic risk, as well as the mechanisms responsible, are of interest. In addition, the laboratory studies strategies for optimizing nutritional outcomes following bariatric surgery.
- Gletsu-Miller, N., Broderius, M., Frediani, J.K., Zhao, V.M., Griffith, D.P., Davis, S.S. Jr., Sweeney, J.F., Lin, E., Prohaska, J.R., Ziegler, T.R. Incidence and prevalence of copper deficiency following roux-en-y gastric bypass surgery. International Journal of Obesity, 2011;epub doi:10.1038/ijo.2011.159
- Lin, E., Armstrong-Moore, D., Liang, Z., Sweeney, J.F., Torres, W.E,, Ziegler, T.R., Tangpricha, V., Gletsu-Miller, N. Contribution of adipose tissue to plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations during weight loss following gastric bypass surgery. Obesity 19(3):588-594, 2011.
- Lin, E., Liang, Z., Frediani, J., Davis, S.S.Jr., Sweeney, J.F., Ziegler, T.R., Phillips, L.S., Gletsu-Miller, N. Improvement in beta-cell function in patients with normal- and hyper-glycemia following roux-en-y gastric bypass surgery. American Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism 299(5):E706-712, 2010.
- Gletsu-Miller, N., Hansen, J., Jones, D.P., Go, Y-M., Torres, W.E., Ziegler, T.R., Lin, E. Loss of total and visceral adipose tissue mass predict decreases in oxidative stress after weight loss surgery. Obesity 17: 439-446, 2009.
- 10. Gletsu, N., Lin, E., Zhu, J-L., Khaitan, L., Ramshaw, B.J., Farmer, P.K., Ziegler, T.R., Papanicolaou, D.A., Smith, C.D. Increased plasma interleukin-6 concentrations and exaggerated adipose tissue interleukin 6 content in severely obese patients after operative trauma. Surgery 140:50-57, 2006.
- Gletsu, N., Lin, E., Khaitan, L., Lynch, S.A., Ramshaw, B.J., Raziano, R., Torres, W.E., Ziegler, T.R., Papanicolaou, D.A., Smith, C.D. Changes in C-Reactive protein predict insulin sensitivity in severely obese individuals following weight loss surgery. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery 9:1119-1128, 2005.
|FN 43800||Micronutrient and Phytochemical Metabolism in Human Health and Disease|