- B.S., Exercise Physiology at University of California, Davis in 1986
- M.S., Exercise Science at University of California, Davis in 1994
- Ph.D., Nutrition at University of California, Davis in 1997
- Post-Doctoral training, Energy Regulation at Tufts University in 1999
- Dieting and Exercise During Lactation
Awards & Honors
- Acorn Award from Purdue University, for grants awarded over $1,000,000, 2010
- ILSI North America Future (Nutrition) Leader from International Life Sciences Institute, North America, 2003
- Phi Sigma Biological Honor Society from Phi Sigma, 1995
- USDA Graduate Fellowship from USDA, 1991
Activities & Memberships
- Member (Faculty Standing Committee for International Programs) from Purdue University, 2011 - Present
- Coordinator (Journal Club) from IBRC, 2009 - Present
- Executive Committee (Ingestive Behavior Research Center) from Purdue University, 2008 - Present
- Member (ASN) from American Society for Nutrition Sciences, 1996 - Present
- Chair (Eating Patterns and Energy Balance: A Look at Eating Frequency, Snacking, and Breakfast Omission) from ASN Minisymposium, American Society for Nutritional Sciences, 2009
- Chair (Futuristic Tools for the Measurement of Physical Activity and Food Intake) from The Obesity Society, 2011
- My research focuses on eating patterns such as snacking, eating frequency and timing, breakfast skipping, dietary variety, taste preferences, and eating food prepared away from home, and their interactions with dietary composition factors such as carbohydrate quality and protein. Specifically, we are interested in the contribution of different eating patterns and diet compositions to overeating and weight gain, and how they may best be managed for weight loss, prevention of weight regain and reducing chronic disease risk. We are also interested in how personality, attitude, and psychological disposition may affect eating patterns and vice-versa. An additional focus of my laboratory is improvement in dietary, physical activity, and body composition assessment methods.
- Osei-Boadi K, Wonnell BS, Campbell WW, McCabe GP, McCrory MA*. Effects of pulse physical form and digestive enzyme availability on postprandial glucose and appetite responses. To be presented at the EB2013 annual meeting, Boston, MA.
- Zhao Y, Liu SS, McCarthy OM, McCrory MA*. Exploring underlying reasons of eating patterns among a low-income adult population in Lake County, Indiana. To be presented at the EB2013 annual meeting, Boston, MA.
- Fialkowski MK, McCrory MA, Roberts SM, Tracy JK, Grattan LM, Boushey CJ. Dietary patterns are associated with dietary recommendations but have limited relationship to body mass index in the Communities Advancing the Studies of Tribal Nations Across the Lifespan (CoASTAL) cohort. Publ Health Nutr 2012, Publ Health Nutr 2012;21:1-11. [Epub ahead of print doi:10.1017/S1368980012000122]
- McCrory MA*, Sharma RS, Polissar NL, Boushey CJ, Roberts SB, Wehr GW, Maroney OH, Fieselmann KN, Ebner RE, Fuss PJ. Urinary sucrose and fructose associations with self- reported intake: the influence of plausibility of reported energy intake and eating occasion. Presented at the 8th International Congress on Diet and Physical Activity Methods (ICDAM), May 14-17, Rome, Italy.
- McCarthy O, Berteus Forslund H, Polissar NL, Maroney OH, McCrory MA*. Validity of a brief questionnaire for determining usual eating patterns: the UEPQ. Presented at the 8th International Congress on Diet and Physical Activity Methods (ICDAM), May 14-17, Rome, Italy.
- McCrory MA*, Burke A, Roberts SB. Dietary (sensory) variety and energy balance. Physiol Behav 2012;107:576-83. Epub 21 June 2012 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2012.06.012)
- McCrory MA*, Howarth NC, Roberts SB, Huang TTK. Eating frequency and energy regulation in free-living adults consuming self-selected diets. J Nutr 2011;141:148-53. PMID 21123466.
- McCrory MA*, Campbell WW. Effects of eating frequency, snacking, and breakfast skipping on energy regulation: symposium overview. J Nutr 2011;141:144-7. PMID 21123468.
- Martin CK, Das SK, Linblad LL, Racette SB, McCrory MA, Weiss EP, DeLaney JP, Krauss WE for the CALERIE Study Team. Effect of calorie restriction on the free-living physical activity levels of non-obese humans: Results of three randomized trials. J Appl Physiol 2011; 110:956-63. Epub Feb 3 (doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.00846.2009). PMID: 21292847
- Urban LE, McCrory MA, Dallal GE, Das SK, Saltzman E, Watkins DR, Weber, JL, Roberts SB. Accuracy of stated energy contents of restaurant foods. JAMA 2011;306:1-7.
- Oberg EB, Bradley RD, Allen J, McCrory MA. Naturopathic dietary interventions for patients with Type 2 diabetes. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice 17(3);157-61. Epub Mar 2011 doi:10.1016/j.ctcp.2011.02.00
- Hatch AM, Arentson EJ, Campbell WW, McCabe GP, Laurentz SM, Buhman KK, McCrory MA*. Postprandial responses to high protein and fiber breakfasts in combination with orlistat. Presented at the Obesity Society annual meeting, 2010 October, Washington, DC.
- McCrory MA*, Hamaker BR, Lovejoy JC, Eichelsdoerfer PE. Pulse consumption, satiety, and weight management. Adv Nutr 2010;1:17-30.
- Fialkowski MK, McCrory MA, Roberts SM, Tracy JK, Grattan LM, Boushey CJ. Evaluation of dietary assessment tools used to assess the diet of adults participating in the Communities Advancing the Studies of Tribal Nations Across the Lifespan cohort. J Am Diet Assoc 2010:110:65-73.
- Howarth NH, Huang TTK, Roberts SB, Lin BH, McCrory MA*. Eating patterns, dietary composition, and energy regulation in younger and older participants in the CSFII 1994-96. Int J Obes 2007:31:675-84.
Books, Chapters & Monograph Publications
- McCrory MA. Energy intake, obesity, and eating behaviors. In: Present Knowledge in Nutrition, 9th Ed. Bowman BA, Russell RM, eds. ILSI Press, Washington DC. 2006.
- McCrory MA, Roberts SB. Dietary Variety. In: Encyclopedia of Health and Aging. Markides KS, Ed. SAGE Publications, Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA. 2007, p. 154-6.
- Saltzman E, McCrory MA. Physical Assessment. In: Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Disease, 2nd Ed. Coulston A, Boushey C, eds. Elsevier/Academic Press, 2008.
|NUTR 31500||Fundamentals of Nutrition: This is a nutrition survey course for undergraduate Nutrition Science majors.
|NUTR 59000||Obesity: Behavior, Physiology and Policy. This course provides a foundation in scientific concepts, biochemistry and physiology relevant to obesity. These principles are applied to public health and policy issues. Includes training and practice of skills important to a career in nutrition science, such as critical thinking, discussion of scientific literature and scientific debate.
|NUTR 61600||Special Topics in Ingestive Behavior: Taught in alternate years, each time covering a different topic (Spring 2010: Eating patterns; Spring 2012: The role of the stomach).
|NUTR 617||Special Seminar in Ingestive Behavior: Interdisciplinary graduate-level seminar featuring an array of speakers. Taught in alternate years, the theme differs each time (Fall 2008: Obesity; Fall 2012: Food policy).
International Programs & Activities
- Dr McCrory has served on several grant review panels for the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine (USARIEM), and the Wellcome Trust. She is a regular reviewer for top nutrition and health journals including Obesity, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the Journal of Nutrition, and Appetite. She is currently a member of the American Society for Nutrition.
April 2009 'Eating Frequency and Energy Regulation in Free-living Subjects Consuming Self-Selected Diets.' Part of a minisymposium entitled, 'Eating Patterns and Energy Balance: A Look at Eating Frequency, Snacking, and Breakfast Omission.' EB2009 annual meeting, New Orleans, LA.
April 2010 'Options in post data collection processing to exclude implausible dietary records.' Part of a minisymposium entitled, "The Assessment of Food Intake in Individuals and Groups: Current State of the Art and Future Directions." EB2010 annual meeting, Anaheim, CA. Chair: JO Hill, Univ of Colorado. Co-chair: SB Roberts, Tufts University.
May 2010 'Eating patterns in relation to obesity: Lessons learned from the past that can be applied to the future.'May Conference 2010, Department of Nutrition Science, Purdue University.
Feb 2011 'Challenges in assessing dietary intake.' Presentation at the Pathway to Health 4th Annual Colloquium, School of Nutrition and Exercise Science, San Diego State University. Feb 24-25.
Sept 2011 ‘Eating Patterns and Energy Regulation.’ Presentation at the Department of Food Science symposium Prevention of Metabolic Syndrome by Dietary Phytochemicals, The Pennsylvania State University.
Sept 2011 'Sensory Variety and Energy Balance.' Presentation at the Purdue University Ingestive Behavior Research Center Flavor and Feeding Symposium, Indianapolis, IN.
Oct 2011 ‘Restaurant Menu Labeling: Information, Impact and Interactive Insights.’ Presentation at the HHS Update 2011 for Indiana Extension Educators. Beck Agricultural Center, West Lafayette, IN.
July 2012 ‘Eating Patterns, Obesity and Chronic Disease Risk.’ Presentation at the Department of Preventive Medicine, Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University of Chicago, Maywood, IL.
Dec 2012 ‘Eating Patterns, Obesity and Chronic Disease Risk’ Presention at the Food Innovation Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
Feb 2013 ‘Do Eating Patterns Influence Energy Intake?’. Presentation at the Interdepartmental Nutrition Program seminar series, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
Mar 2013 ‘Do Eating Patterns Play a Role in Obesity and Chronic Disease Risk?’ Presentation at the Department of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO.
April 2013 ‘Do Eating Patterns Influence Energy Intake?’ Presentation at the Department of Nutritional Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University.
Sept 2013 ‘Meal Skipping, Diet Quality and Energy Balance’ Presentation at the Purdue University Ingestive Behavior Research Center symposium on Eating Patterns, Diet Quality and Energy Balance.