- B.S., Chemistry at Duke University in 1996
- M.S., Food Science and Nutrition at The Ohio State University in 1998
- Ph.D., Food Science and Nutrition at The Ohio State University in 2001
- Digestive Stability, human intestinal cell uptake and biological activity of dietary chlorophyll derivatives
- Dr. Ferruzzi’s long-term goal is to identify food science strategies that will contribute to the prevention of chronic disease in humans. Working toward this goal his research program has focused on the investigation of how the food matrix and processing impact phytochemical physical and chemical stability, and bioavailability with a particular focus on polyphenols and natural pigments (carotenoids and chlorophylls). Dr. Ferruzzi’ program addresses both fundamental and applied questions critical to food industry including: (1) Development of methods for determination of phytochemicals in complex matrices; (2) Assessment of phytochemical stability and reactivity in food systems; (3) Exploring of factors impacting phytochemical bioavailability from foods; and (4) Development of strategies for incorporation/stabilization of phytochemicals in food systems.
- Peters, C.M. Green, R.J., Janle, E.M. and Ferruzzi, M.G. Formulation with ascorbic acid and sucrose modulates catechin bioavailability from green tea. Food Research International. 43: 95–102. 2010.
- Ferruzzi, M.G., Lobo, J.K., Janle, E., Whittaker, N., Cooper, B., Simon, J.E., Wu, Q.-L., Welch, C., Ho, L., Weaver, C. and Pasinetti, G.M. Bioavailability of gallic acid and catechins from neuroprotective grape seed extract is improved by repeated dosing in rats. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 18(1): 113-24. 2009.
- Ho, L., Chen, L.H., Wang, J., Zhao, W. Talcott, S.T., Ono, K., Teplow, D., Humala, N., Cheng, A., Percival, S.S. Ferruzzi, M.G., Janle, E., Weaver, C., Dickstein, D.A., Pasinetti, G. Heterogeneity in red wine polyphenolic contents differentially influences Alzheimer’s disease-type neuropathology and cognitive deterioration. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 16:59-72. 2009.
- Neilson, A.P., George, J.C., Janle, E.M., Mattes, R.D., Rudolph R., Matusheski N.V. and Ferruzzi, M.G. Influence of food matrix on cocoa flavan-3-ol bioaccessibility in vitro and bioavailability in humans. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 57: 9418–9426. 2009.
- Nelson, R.E. and Ferruzzi, M.G. Synthesis and Bioaccessibility of Fe-pheophytin Derivatives from Crude Spinach Extract. Journal of Food Science. 73(5):H86-91. 2008.
- Kean, E.G., Hamaker, B.R., and Ferruzzi, M.G. Carotenoid Bioaccessibility from Whole Grain and Degermed Maize Meal Products. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 56(21):9918-26. 2008.
- Green, R., Murphy, A., Schulz, B., Watkins, B.A., and Ferruzzi, M.G. Common tea formulations modulate in vitro digestive recovery of green tea catechins. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research. 51(9):1152-1162. 2007.
- Neilson, A., Bomser, J., Periera, M., Cooper, B. and Ferruzzi, M.G. Catechin degradation with concurrent formation of homo- and hetero- catechin dimers during in vitro digestion. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 55(22):8941-9. 2007.
- Rudelle, S., Ferruzzi M.G., Cristiani, I., Moulin, I., Mace, C., Acheson, K., and Tappy, L. Effect of beverage containing green tea catechins, caffeine and calcium on 24-hr energy metabolism in humans. Obesity Research. In press.
- Ferruzzi, M.G., Lumpkin, J.L., Schwartz, S.J., Failla, M.L. Digestion, micellarization and intestinal cell uptake of beta-carotene isomers. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 54:2780-5. 2006.
Books, Chapters & Monograph Publications
- Ferruzzi, M.G., and Schwartz, S.J. Chromatographic techniques and separation of chlorophylls. In: Supplement 1 to Current Protocols in Food Analytical Chemistry. John Wiley & Son Inc. Unit F4.4. 2001.
- Ferruzzi, M.G., and Schwartz, S.J. Overview of chlorophylls in foods. In: Supplement 1 to Current Protocols in Food Analytical Chemistry. John Wiley & Son Inc. Unit F4.1. 2001.
- Ferruzzi, M.G., and Schwartz, S.J. Analysis of Human Carotenoids in “Carotenoids in Health and Disease” Norman I. Krinsky, Susan T. Mayne and Helmut Sies (eds). Marcel Dekker, 2004.
|FS 44300||Food Processing III|
|FS 69000||Food Product Development