- B.S., Chemistry at Ursinus College in 1963
- M.S., Organic Chemistry at Purdue University in 1965
- Ph.D., Physiology at Purdue University in 1980
- Post-Doc., Insulin Receptors at Indiana University School of Medicine in 1982
- Experimental Diabetes in Dogs: I. Effects of Pancreatic Tissue Implants, II. Plasma Osmolality Following Glucose Infusion
Awards & Honors
- Space Act Award from NASA, 2000
- My major interest is diabetes and glucose control. To monitor glucose in diabetics without removal of blood, I developed the ultrafiltrate probe. The ultrafiltrate probe is a membrane probe which can be implanted in subcutaneous tissue. A negative pressure is applied and interstitial fluid is removed. These probes can be used for long term monitoring in large or small animal models. I have also worked on additional uses of the ulrafiltrate probe for other areas of medical research including measurement of bone minerals in bone, muscle and subcutaneous tissue. In the area of botanicals, I am investigating the potential of green tea and other supplements to improve glucose tolerance and reduce long term complications of diabetes.
As a member of the Bioavailability Cores of the Botanical Center for Age Related Diseases and the Centers of Excellence project to study the Protective Effects of Grape Polyphenols in the Prevention of Alzheimer’s Disease, I work with other investigators in these centers to study the bioavailability, metabolism and tissue distribution of botanical compounds in animal models. A major focus of this investigation is the determination of the potential of bioactives and metabolites to cross the blood brain barrier, with the ultimate goal of finding supplements which might prevent neurodegeneration in the elderly or improve brain development and learning in the young.
- Ho L, Ferruzzi MG, Janle EM, Wang J, Gong B, Chen T-Y, Lobo J, Cooper B, Wu Q-L, Talcott ST, Percival SS, Simon J, and Pasinetti GM. Identification Of Brain-targeted Bioactive Dietary Quercetin-3-O-GlucuronideAs A Novel Intervention For Alzheimer’s Disease. FASEB Journal. 2013. In Press
- Lila M, Ribnicky D, Rojo L, Rojas-Silva P, Oren A, Janle E, Raskin I; Yousef G, Grace M. Complementary approaches to gauge the bioavailability and distribution of ingested berry polyphenolics. J Agricultural and Food Chemistry: 20(23) 5763-5771, 2012.
- Weinheimer EM, Conley TB, Kobza VM, Sands LP, Lim E, Janle EM, Campbell WW. No affect of whey protein supplementation on exercise training-induced changes in body composition and indices of metabolic syndrome in middle-aged overweight and obese adults. J of Nutrition 142(8)1532-9, 2012
- Wang J, Ferruzzi MG , Ho L, Blount J, Janle E, Gong B, Pan Y, Raftery D, Arrieta-Cruz I, Sharma V, Cooper B, Lobo J, Simon J, Cheng A, Qian X, Zhang C, Ono K, Teplow D, Pavlides C, Dixon R, Pasinetti G. Brain-Targeted Proanthocyanidin Metabolites for Alzheimer's Disease Treatment. J Neuroscience 32, 5144-5150, 2012
- Madian AG, Myracle A, Diaz-Maldonado N, Janle E, Regnier FE. Determining the effects of antioxidants on oxidative stress induced post-translational modifications of proteins. Analytical Chemistry , 83(24), 9328-9336, 2011
- Madian AG, Myracle A, Diaz-Maldonado N, Janle E, Regnier FE. Differential Carbonylation of Proteins as a Function of in vivo Oxidative Stress. J. Proteome Research. 10(9), 3959-3972, 2011
- Barnes S, Prasain J, D’Alessandro T, Arabshahi A, Botting N, Lila MA, Jackson G, Janle EM, Weaver CM. The metabolism, distribution and analysis of dietary polyphenols in foods and biological systems. Foods & Function. www.rsc.org/foodfunction. 2011
- Peters CM, Green RJ, Janle E, Ferruzzi MG. Formulation with ascorbic acid and sucrose modulates catechin bioavailability from green tea. Food Research International 43: 95-102, 2010.
- Janle EM, Lila MA, Grannan M, Wood L, Higgins A, Yousef GG, Rogers RB, Kim H, Jackson GS, Ho L, Weaver CM. Pharmacokinetics and Tissue Distribution of 14C Labeled Grape Polyphenols in the Periphery and the Central Nervous System Following Oral Administration. Journal of Medicinal Food. 13(4): 926-933, 2010.
- Vingtdeux V, Zhao H, Chandakkar P, Wu C, Simon JE, Janle E, Lobo J, Ferruzzi MG, Davies P, Marambaud. AMPK-activated protein kinase signaling activation by resveratrol modulates amyloid-â peptide metabolism. Journal of Biological Chemistry 285: 9100-9113, 2010.
- Janle E, Lila MA, Wood L, Higgins A, Yousef GG, Rogers RB, Kim H, Jackson GS, Ho L, and Weaver C. Method for evaluating the potential of 14C labeled plant polyphenols to cross the blood-brain barrier using accelerator mass spectrometry. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, section B, Beam Interaction with Materials and Atoms (NIMB) 268: (Issues 7-8) 1313-1316, 2010.
- Neilson AP, Sapper TN, Janle EM, Rudolph R, Matusheski NV, Ferruzzi MG. Chocolate matrix factors modulate the pharmacokinetic behavior of cocoa flavan-3-ol phase II metabolites following oral consumption by Sprague-Dawley rats. J Agric Food Chem. 58, 6685-6691, 2010.
- Mun JG, Grannan MD, Lackcik PJ, Rogers RB, Yousef GG, Grace MH, Janle EM, Wu QL, Simon JE, Weaver CM, Lila MA. Tracking deposition of a 14C-radiolabeled kudzu hairy root-derived isoflavone-rich fraction into bone. Experimental Medicine and Biology. 235, 1224-1235, 2010.
- Weaver C, Barnes S, Wyss JM, Kim H, Morre D, Morre J, Simon J, Lela MA, Janle E, Ferruzzi M. Research Highlights from the Purdue-UAB BotanicalsResearch Center for Age Related Diseases. Pharmaceutical Biology. 47: 768-773, 2009.
- Ferruzzi MG, Lobo JK, Janle E, Cooper B, Simon JE, Wu Q-L, Welch C, Ho L, Weaver C, Pasinetti GM. Bioavailability of gallic acid and catechins from grape seed polyphenol extract is improved by repeated dosing in rats: implications for treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease 18: 113-24, 2009.
- Weaver CM, Janle E, Martin BR, Browne S, Guiden H, Lachcik P. Dairy vs. Calcium Carbonate in Promoting Peak Bone Mass and Bone Maintenance During Subsequent Calcium Deficiency. JBMR. 24: 1411-19, 2009.
- Ho L, Chen LH, Wang J, Zhao W, Talcott ST, Ono K, Teplow D, Humala N, Cheng A, Percival SS, Ferruzzi M, Janle E, Dickstein DL, Pasinetti GM. Heterogeneity in red wine polyphenolic contents differentially influences Alzheimer’s disease-type neuropathology and cognitive deterioration. J Alz. Dis: 16: 59-72, 2009Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research. Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms 259: 758-762, 2007.
Books, Chapters & Monograph Publications
- Janle-Swain E: Animal Models of Diabetic Nephropathy in Handbook of Animal Models for Renal Failure, Ash SR and Thornhill JA, Eds., CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1985.
- Janle EM, Kissinger PT: Microdialysis and Ultrafiltration in Advances in Nutrition, 40, 183-196, Academic Press, 1996.
|FN 39800||French Culture, Food, and Health: The course explores the differences in dietary patterns and attitudes toward food which might lead to differences in health outcomes between France and the United States.