- B.A., Psychology at Bluffton University in 1998
- M.S., Nutrition Science at Purdue University in 2006
- Ph.D., Nutrition Science at Purdue University in 2009
- Post-Doc., Nutrition Science at Purdue University in 2012
- The association of food insecurity to health and dietary outcomes in U.S. children
- The research in Dr. Eicher-Miller's laboratory is focused on identifying health and nutrition disparities among food-insecure and low-resource populations to inform interventions that will improve food insecurity and health in these populations. Diverse approaches are used in the Eicher-Miller laboratory. Large, complex, representative datasets such as the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey are valuable for discovering associations of diet to health and to determining dietary patterns of intake representative of specified US populations. Community based studies are undertaken to investigate the effects of nutrition education, program, and policy interventions on food security, diet, and overall health. Engaging with communities in participatory research can inform the translation of discovery to maximize intervention impacts.
- Eicher-Miller HA, Fulgoni VL, Keast DR. Contributions of processed foods to dietary intake in the US from 2003-2008. J Nutr; in press.
- Khanna N, Eicher-Miller HA, Boushey CJ, Gelfand SB, Delp EJ. Temporal dietary patterns using kernel k-means clustering. Proceedings IEEE- the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM) 2011; 375-380.
- Eicher-Miller, HA, Mason AC, Weaver CM, McCabe GP, Boushey CJ. Food insecurity is associated with diet and bone mass disparities in early adolescent U.S. males but not females. J Nutr 2011; 141:1738-45.
- Eicher-Miller HA, Mason AC, Weaver CM, McCabe GP, Boushey CJ. Food insecurity is associated with iron deficiency anemia in US adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 90: 1358-71.
- Eicher-Miller HA, Mason AC, Abbott AR, McCabe GP, Boushey CJ. The effect of Food Stamp Nutrition Education on the food insecurity of low-income women participants. JNEB 2009; 41:161-168.